Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Secret of the Ooze

Ninja Turtles (Cowabunga, Dude!) were all the rage, Vanilla Ice was at his peak, and I was a big fan of both. So I'm sure you can imagine the overwhelming sensation of utter joy that swept over me as I learned that Nana was going to take RJ, Jennifer, and I to see the new Turtle movie!

We had our popcorn and drinks ready as we eagerly looked up at the "big screen" and watched scene after scene of ninja action and comic relief, known as Michelangelo! And than it happened! The moment we all had been waiting for...Vanilla Ice took the stage and sang (or should I say rapped) the Ninja Rap! The same overwhelming sensation of utter joy that swept over me when I found out that we were going to see the movie, swept over Nana. Suddenly, she stood up! She was doing a side stepping dance! We were now past the point of no return! And to my complete horror, she started rapping! "Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go!" It was at that very moment that I learned that the secret of the ooze was more than radioactive sludge that turned ordinary sewer turtles into the superheros that we know and love today, but it was also how a child could actually physically ooze out of a chair and turn into a puddle of complete embarrassment on the floor. Needless to say, it was a long time before we went to another movie with her.

The funny thing is that the thing that embarrassed me as a kid, I now admire as an adult. No one ever has to guess how Nana is feeling. She wears her emotions right on her sleeve! When she's happy it is such an exciting thing to be around. And when she's disappointed, you know it! And believe me, Nana's disappointment is far worse than any punishment!

Well...now my son is into TMNT and I've been looking for that movie so I can show him the Ninja Dance! "Go Ninja! Go Ninja! Go!!!"

4 comments:

Donna said...

As I read this to Nana, she smiled and said she remembers that day! The funny thing was she had no idea she was the only one dancing and singing...she thought everyone was up!!

Gina, Your a natural!!

GG said...

LOL We were the COMPLETE opposite of up. We were so far down we couldnt get any lower in our chairs! I am still amazed that we didnt get "boo"ed out of the theatre!

Anonymous said...

That day will ALWAYS be one of the most clearest memories of my life! I can still recall the Arsenio Hall arm twirl thing she did. It was SO humiliating. Thats gotta be on my top ten fondest memories in my life.

GG said...

Soooo funny! I was actually demonstrating the Ninja Dance to my friend here at work and I used those exact words to describe it! "The Arsenio Hall arm twirl thing"!!!