Sunday, March 30, 2008

Amish Weekend...

I remember the time in the house on Apache in Westminster when the Ward was asked (I don't remember who asked, the Bishop or the Stake President), to live for a weekend without running water, electricity, or modern conveniences. And, being the faithful person Nana was, she wanted us to do it. What an experience it was. We all had assignments. Someone was in charge of food, someone was in charge of water, etc. I don't recall who had what, but I do remember that Danny was the fire guy. It was funny because we called him "Flame". Any time we needed a candle lit or something, we would just yell "Flame" and there he'd be with the matches. It was fun at first. We had the Victrola for music and we played games. But, as the weekend went on it was more difficult. Nana was there any time someone started to complain to encourage us and keep us from going too crazy. I think the worst part was that we weren't supposed to flush the toilet unless absolutely necessary. Yuk! But we made it through. We actually did it. We were so proud of ourselves. I don't think any of us would ever want to do it again though. Once was definitely enough!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not remember this at all!! What a memory you have, Heather.

Donna said...

I remember this, well, I remember going a weekend without modern conveniences. I don't remember the "flame guy" part, but I was young on Apache road!!!