I as well have some very fond memories that I wanted to share.....This one always makes me smile...
Twas the end of summer at around 1990 and Gina and I ( I don't recall Richard being there) had finally gotten home from our long summer vacation in Las Vegas, visiting our father. As we unboard off the plane, to our great surprise, Nana was there to welcome us home. Our mom had just gotten out of surgery and couldn't be there. Well as we hugged and kissed with very warm greetings we went to get our luggage and head home, it was very late at night and we were all ready to get home to our warm beds. We reach the parking lot and our voyage had begun........where in the world did Nana park??? We went through row of row cars unsucessfully. I don't remember how long we searched, but I was about 7 so it seemed as if hours had gone by. Nana then started to become upset and frusterated at this situation. Then out of nowhere, like a ton of bricks, it hit her! The shuttle!! If we just get onto the shuttle it will take us throughout the whole parking lot til she could figure out where she parked! Absolute joy overwhelmed her as though she just blew Einstein out of the water! Success was hers! So we get onto the shuttle and were riding along until.....Are we going onto the freeway...wait....wait....Houston we have a problem. We found ourselves out of the airport parking lot, onto the freeway, off the freeway, and now in the driveway of some hotel! I believe that this was the first time I had ever seen a grown woman cry! The shuttle driver felt so bad for her we didn't get charged for the drive. They took us back to the airport, and I don't exactly remember how we found the car, but I remember finally getting home and telling our mom about the our little adventure! Ever since then she officially inherited the name "Cuckoo Nana". Now everytime I think of that night, I get very warm inside, and I give a little chuckle.
Michelle's Letter 4/20/12
14 years ago
2 comments:
Thanks Jenn for starting this story, although, from what I remember about this story, there is a lot more to it!! I guess Gina will have to post what she remembers. I just might ask Nana what she remembers, too. So, everyone, stay tuned for more...
Oh yes! The "car crisis"! What a sad yet humorous memory.
I think I should point out that yes Nana greeted us with lots of love....eventually! She was SO late! She got lost in the parking lot before she even got to airport! And when she finally did reach the gate she was horror stricken to see our HUGE Tazmanin Devil dolls that Grandma had given to us!
And than when we finally did get to the car...she didnt have any money to pay to get out. The poor woman was a gigantic mess! It was a miracle that we had some extra summer cash!
Definately a memory that I wont soon forget! I love my Cuckoo Nana!
Post a Comment