Friday, March 28, 2008

Is this Heaven?

That's what Nana asked me this morning after I tucked her back in bed after a good shower, clean jammies, teeth & hair brushed, a small glass of strawberry cranberry juice and Perry Mason! She has been asking about Perry Mason for awhile, now. You see he's on at 10:30 at night and she hasn't been awake during that time to watch it. I kept saying I would tape it for her and I just kept forgetting. So yesterday, I stopped at Smith's Market (I've decided you can find any series you're looking for at Smith's) and sure enough I found the first season and bought it for her so she could watch it when ever she wanted!!

Nana did not have a very good day yesterday. She really didn't "wake" up much at all. As a matter of fact she had a little bit of disorientation again. Last night I went in to give her an itchy pill on time, she smiled at me and said okay. When I tried to put it in her mouth, she kept sticking her tongue out so I couldn't get it in. I asked her what she was doing. She said in a very slurred voice "You are going to overdose me with those things!" I told no I wasn't, it had been six hours and we needed to keep her on schedule so she wouldn't get too itchy. She said, again in a slurred voice, "if I let you give it to me, will you leave me alone and let me sleep?" I laughed and said "yes, I will let you sleep if you take the pill." So she said, "okay, give it to me then." But when I tried again to put it in her mouth, she stuck her tongue out again and wouldn't let me put it in. "Mom, what are you doing?" She then started to tell me about her dream, I guess I was the mom trying to give her a pill because she was sick. She didn't want to take it. She asked me if she was in Grandpa's bed. I told her she was in her own bed, in my house in Bountiful. She seemed surprised,

"I'm in Bountiful?"
"Yes, Mom, You're in Bountiful."
"Am I in Grandpa's bed, in Bountiful?"
"No, Mom you're in your own bed, in Bountiful."
"Oh."

Then it seemed she was back to where she was my mom again, she said what are you doing? I said I'm trying to give you this itchy pill and you won't let me. She said Oh, give it to me then. I asked her if she was going to let me this time she said yes. And she did. I kissed her and tucked her back in and went to bed. This morning when we were getting her in the shower we were talking and I told her about what she did last night. She didn't remember any of it, until I got to the part about the dream and grandpa's bed. I guess that seemed more reality than me trying to give her the pill!

I thought we were going to have another bad day today, because when I went in this morning her eyes were open. I greeted her and she was looking around as though she wasn't sure where she was. I greeted her again, "You're awake! How are you this morning?" She looked at me like she didn't know who I was. So I asked her if she knew who I was, she just looked at me and didn't answer, so I told her I was Donna, her daughter. She said,

"Donna????"
"Yes, Donna, you're daughter."
"My daughter???"
"Yes, you're at my house in Bountiful."
"I am??"

She looked around and seemed to come out of the fog, then knew who I was and where she was. It never ceases to amaze me how she can come in and out of the confusion, so easily.

She's sleepy, now, but seems to be coherent. She didn't know who Jenn and Charlotte were by sight, but once I explained who they were, she seemed to recognize them. She asked me to take a picture of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how mom loves her Perry Mason. When she came to live here, I told her that we have to watch Perry every night because I was hooked. Before I knew it, she was the one always saying "Its time!"
Another good memory of mom...sitting up late night watching Perry Mason and trying to guess who was going to break down and confess. In the opening credits, there is a shot of the people in the background of the courthouse. Mom liked the little old lady between DA Burger and Det Tragg.