Monday, March 24, 2008

Dunkin Donuts!

I wanted to share a memory from my childhood that makes me smile.

We had just moved to the beautiful state of Utah and we (RJ, Jennifer, and I) were blessed enough to share an apartment with Nana. Mom (Deanna) was working and Nana was the "stay-at-home grandma" Nana had always made sure we had a wonderful breakfast to start out our day and never failed to have snacks (I cant eat a Teddy Graham without thinking of her!) waiting for us when we returned from school.

One morning Nana decided to give us a surprise treat for breakfast! Donuts! Every kids dream! So she broke up the donuts into bite sized pieces, put them in a bowl and poured milk over them. "Breakfast is ready!" I can only imagine how excited she was to tell us we were getting sweets!

Well, I'm not sure if any of you have had bread and milk, but needless to say...it gets soggy REALLY fast! It turned out not be such a sweet treat! I can't recall if we choked it down or utterly refused to eat the mush that was once a delicious treat (Most likely the latter! Believe it or not...I wasn't always perfect. LOL) but I never will forget that she was constantly thinking of ways to make our day special! She taught me to be thoughtful (I've gotta add that my Mama did a good job at teaching me too!) and I thank her for that.

Thank you for being you and being such a wonderful example in my life!

I love you Nana!

2 comments:

Donna said...

Wow, Gina, 2 for 2 today! Two great blog entries in one day!!! What a way to lead the way! Keep up the great work. Thanks, for all you do!!

Heather Bonney-Pearce said...

Hi,

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Heather Bonney-Pearce and I have known Nana and the family for 36 years. She is one of the most beautiful people I have ever known. She has helped me throughout my life more than she'll ever know. Even when I wasn't around her she was helping me. Knowing her has made me a better mother to my children. I have wonderful memories of her. Like when she would play her accordian and Deanna, Donna, Denise and I would dance around the living room "entertaining" her (or we thought we were pretty good). We would put on short plays for her. She would sit so patiently and enjoy them (or atleast she pretended to enjoy them). One of the things that I am most thankful to her for is, that she would ALWAYS listen to us. She may not have agreed with us or how we felt, but she kept an open mind and tried to understand. She NEVER laughed at us or made us feel silly for what we said or felt. I love her so much for that. Because of her, I try to do the same with my children. I know it has made a difference in our home. She's an amazing lady.

Heather