Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Dentist Update

We had a horrible weekend! By the time Monday morning rolled around, Her pain was managable with the Oxycodone Hydrochloride but her whole left side was puffy, swollen and red. She could feel the swelling all the way to her ear and up to her eye. She kept asking me to check to see if there was something in her eye.

Yesterday morning, I called the dentist back and said you need to fit her in and figure this out. It is just too coincidental, it has got to be related to what we came in for on the 17th.

We got there at about 10am. We had to see the new dentist, Dr. Benjamin Menlove, because Dr. Elmer only works on Wednesdays now. Mom seems to like him so we're sticking with Dr. Ben. Anyway, They tried to do another xray but couldn't, she was too swollen and sore. Dr. Ben said it wouldn't be any different from a week ago anyway. They couldn't see anything in the xray so he had no way to know which tooth it was. It can be one or both of two. The tooth (or teeth) have died and are rotting in the jaw and causing infection.

Anyway, he really couldn't do anything any way until we got the infection under control. Even more so since she has the stint. I guess bacteria can collect around the stint and cause problems. So we really are in a catch 22. We have to treat the infection which will weaken the kidneys even more, but we can't not treat the infection because of pain and risk to her heart in essence. So she is taking amoxicillin for the infection and then we go back to the dentist to pull one or two teeth on monday. We're hoping we can better tell which one when the infection is more localized and not spreading.

She was already acting better last night, painwise, anyway. We could manage the pain with out giving her the pain meds every hour. It was lasting longer and doing a better job. The redness in the swelling was more crimson instead of bright red. I expect her to feel even better this morning. (She's not up yet)

She is starting to experience hallucinations, but we were told to expect that when we started to give this med to her. I just hope we can start to ween her off as the infection subsides.

That's the scoop for now, I'll post more as I know more.

2 comments:

GG said...

Wow Nana! You like to keep us on our toes, don't you!

I love you! I hope you feel better soon!

Heather Bonney-Pearce said...

I hope you are feeling better soon, I love you too much!