Nana has been doing so good for so long, I guess it was time for something to happen.
She had the head hospice nurse come over on Thursday (Aug 19th) to talk to her and assess whether she should stay on hospice or move on until she needed the extra care. They decided that they were going to get some blood work done and see where her "numbers" were and go from there. She was just doing so good.
Well wouldn't you know it, as soon as we think this isn't going to happen, she has a set back. We think she had another TIA that very next day! She went to bed on Friday (Aug 20th) just fine. She woke up on Sat just whacked!! I couldn't believe the night and day difference! She was back on oxygen, sleeping most of the day, not really coherent when she was awake. She hardly ate anything that whole weekend.
When it came time to go in for her cataract surgery on her left eye (aug 24th), she was improving but not as much as I hoped, so I had to tell them what was going on. It of course, not only halted the procedure for that day, but I am currently still fighting for them to go ahead with it after she's feeling up to it again. They are saying they never would have done it in the first place had they known her "condition"! What!??? It's still undecided, I'm still working on it. Her surgeon doesn't have a problem, it's the anesthesiologist at this facility. We might have to wait until there's an opening at the hospital to get it done.
Anyway, her blood work came back as being very qualified to stay on hospice. So they did all the paperwork to keep her on.
She is doing much better only as of last night. She has had that look of "the lights are on, but nobody is home" in her eyes for over a week! Last night was the first time she actually looked like she was coherently "in there"! She got up this morning and took a shower and seems pretty with it. I don't think she's been on oxygen since Saturday!
All I can say is, Wow! What a Week!! :)
Michelle's Letter 4/20/12
14 years ago
1 comment:
Wow! I need to go see her! And you!
Post a Comment